Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

See You Later, Oscar.

I was supposed to post this yesterday, but ran into a few snags. (excuses, excuses).

A few weeks ago, I posted my predictions on the Academy Awards,  Hello Again, Oscar.  As was the case from the prior year, I didn't do too well.

Let's see how bad a prognosticator I ended up being by listing the winners and comparing them to who I picked.

Best Picture

The Winner - Argo

My Pick - Lincoln

I picked Lincoln solely for fact that Ben Affleck was not nominated for Best Director for Argo, as Steven Spielberg was for Lincoln. Unusual for the Best Picture winner not to have its' director nominated.

Congrats to Affleck. Maybe one day he will be recognized as the great filmmaker he has become.

Best Actor

The Winner - Daniel Day - Lewis, Lincoln

My Pick - Daniel Day - Lewis, Lincoln

I got this one right, but it was a no brainer. DDL is the best actor today, if not ever. He seems to be a funny guy, as well. Maybe he will be in a comedy in the near future?

Best Actress 

The Winner - Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

My Pick -  Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Egg on my face. It was not very smart of me to say that Lawrence would not win this year.  I'm not sure if the negative press about ZD30 hurt Chastain's chances, but it definitely didn't help. 

Best Supporting Actor      

The Winner - Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained 

My Pick - Alan Arkin, Argo
 
Waltz was brilliant.  No doubt about that.  Arkin, equally so, and I thought sentimentality would play a part in giving the older guy the statue. It has happened before.

Best Supporting Actress  

The Winner - Anne Hathaway, Les Miserable

My Pick -  Sally Field, Lincoln

First off, I think Hathaway is very talented. She looks pretty good in a cat suit, too. She was also great in Les Mis. However, with the strong field of nominees, why would a actress in a musical remake garner such a reward is beyond me. It's just my opinion.

Best Director  


The Winner - Ang Lee, The Life of Pi

My Pick - Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

Okay, I got this one half right. I said Lee should win it and he did. I also said Spielberg would win and he didn't. I don't pick against His Eminence is this category.  I highly respect Lee, and would of picked him if wasn't for one of the influential filmmakers of my youth. If Affleck was nominated, and he should of been, I probably would of reconsidered.

Best Original Screenplay

The Winner - Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained 

My Pick - Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty

Why I go against, arguably, the best screenwriter ever?  Because I tend to pick writers who are not directing the movie. Tarantino has said many times he considers himself a writer foremost. The script is brilliant, btw. You can legally download it for free here for those who are interested in reading it.

Best Adapted Screenplay        

The Winner - Chris Terrio, Argo

My Pick - Chris Terrio, Argo

Well, I got this one right. I gave my sentiments on my earlier post. Though the Argo script is incredible, and you may read and download the PDF here, I may possibly have picked it because Terrio is a paisan who went to Harvard. I'm not saying that's the reason, just possible.

Best Animated Feature Film    

The Winner - Brave

My Pick - Frankenweenie

My Son's Pick - Wreck - It Ralph

My Daughter's Pick - Brave

As I wrote earlier, I am a Tim Burton fan.

My five year old little girl is pretty smart.  She says the Princess will win every time. Ask her which of the Disney Princesses is her favorite, she will reply: "All of them."  She also like to see them in a movie together.

There you have it.  Nine categories. Seven wrong and two right.  Not very good. It was just for fun.

How did you do?


No comments: