Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Dungeons & Dragons

I have a variety of interests, just like most people. Some of them you may not be your cup of tea, so to speak. I think these differences make us unique as individuals. At the age of 12, I was introduced to role playing games, also known as RPG's , by one of my friends. I was immediately hooked on one in particular, called Dungeons & Dragons. I was at a gawky stage in life, so I liked the idea of being someone else besides myself. We would hole up in my friends basement after school and most of the weekend pretending to be great heroes. One day, my mom watched a movie about a teenager who murdered his family. There was one scene in the movie where they showed a D & D book in his bedroom. It was from that day on I was FORBIDDEN to play it again. She says it perverts the mind at creates bad thoughts. It might even cause someone to kill. The thing was, she was not alone in her opinion. Some people believed that it was some kind of cult, that people who played the game were Satanists. It did not matter that it was a miniscule minority who created these problems. There must be something wrong with these kids. Well, how about the kid who had the stuttering problem that now is a strong public speaker? How about the girl who was struggling with reading but earned her Master's in English Lit. These were kids who I know. It does help with creativity. It helps improve math and reading skills. How about enhancing leadership and team orientation? There were famous people who played the game. I will only mention one though. His name is Vin Diesel. I dare you to tell him he is a geek. How many you gamers are out there? Shout out.

No comments: